Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gardener's Flea Market at Bird Haven Greenhouse


You certainly know by now one of my favorite nature play activities is gardening.  Gardening is the most gratifying thing I do.  I plant something and then weeks or months later I have this beautiful thing that I created.  Because I like instant gratification sometimes I just buy something beautiful.  That's where Bock's Greenhouse comes in. 

This one was so big I picked it first!
For the last several years I have purchased fabulous HUGE hanging baskets at the Gardener's Flea Market at the Bird Haven Greenhouse.  This year was to be no different.  Kevin, the Head Horticulturist, told me I could go to Bock's and get baskets early this year if I wanted.  I was having a little party for my mother's 85th birthday so I needed some instant color. Kevin called them to see when they would be delivering to the greenhouse and they told him to tell me just to come on over.  OMG!  This place is amazing.  Two greenhouses in the backyard with the most beautiful array of bright beautiful BIG hanging baskets all for the minute sum of $25.00 EACH !  Really!  $25 dollars each! 
So before I even got to the flea market I had five of my favorite things for this summer.  However, once we arrived at Bird Haven Greenhouse ( a recently restored Lord and Burnham Greenhouse) there were hundreds of other things I really needed for my house/yard/ life.  A few years ago my husband said we needed more whimsy in our yard so I set off to create a more magical experience.  I bought Bernard ( our big ugly bird planter) for him for Father's Day.  I found the most wonderful bike, or should I say half bike at the Gardener's Flea Market a couple of years ago. 


This year my fabulous finds included two really nice recycled glass pieces. First one was a green glass whimsical garden stake and the second one is a chandelier I can place a votive in for my gazebo.


You can find whimsy for your garden at your local flea markets and garage sales too.  I found the scale holding the hanging basket at a local garage sale.  I used the old whicker furniture my neighbor was throwing away for years as a pot holder until it totally disintigrated.   For those of you around the Chicagoland area Bird Haven Greenhouse is open 7 days a week and they still have plants at VERY reasonable prices from their plant sale. 

Bird Haven Greenhouse
227 North Gougar
Joliet, IL 604732
815-741-7277
Facebook   Bird Haven Greenhouse


Bock's Greenhouse
13105 U.S. Highway 6
Mokena, IL 60448
815-485-2165
Mon-Fri 9-6
Sat 9-4
Closed Sunday




 

No comments:

Post a Comment